The UC Davis Emeriti Association is pleased to announce the 2018 recipients of the Edward A. Dickson Emeriti Professorship Award. The award is supported by an endowment provided by Edward A. Dickson for the support of emeriti professorships and is awarded to one or more of our emeriti faculty on an annual basis. A candidate whose project is selected is also designated as an Edward A. Dickson Professor Emeritus during the year of support. The nomination and selection process is overseen by the Executive Committee of the UC Davis Emeriti Association (UCDEA) and implemented by the association's Awards and Recognition Committee.
- Peter Hays: "Subsidization of Publication of Reading The Old Man and the Sea"
- Martha Macri: "Investigating the Origins and Cultural Evolution of Human Communication Systems: Comparing Two Early Scripts from Mexico and Central America"
- Frederic Troy: "Chain Length of Polysialic Acid Chains on Adult Neural Stem Cells from Spiral Ganglion Neurons"
- Brian Higgins: "Production of an Interactive/Multimedia iBook for UC Davis Undergraduate Class in Chemical Engineering"
- Gerald Kost: "Preparedness for Highly Infectious Threats (Ebola virus disease, MERS-CoV, others): Environmental Robustness of Point-of-Care (POC) WBC and Differential Counts Used in Early Detection"
- Bruce Lyeth: "Importance of Glutamate Oxaloacetate Transaminase (GOT-1) Serum Levels in TBI"
- Roy Bellhorn: "Vascular permeability of the snake's spectacle during ecdysis"
- Nicole Woolsey Biggart: "Energy: How energy organizes social life"
- John Meeks: "Microscopic documentation of protein localization and motility behavior in filaments of the symbiotic cyanobacterium N. punctiforme"
- Dennis Wilson: "Translational application of quantitative digital microscopy to patients in veterinary medicine"
- Dan Anderson: "Age and Cranial-Ossification/Bone Density Characteristics in Brown Pelicans: Potential Applications for Demographic and Nutritional Analyses"
- Hugh Dingle: "Monarchs in the Pacific: Is Contemporary Evolution Occurring on an Isolated Island?"
- Martha Macri: "Cultural Evolution of Human Communication Systems: Investigating Linguistic Diversity and Social Change with Mayan Hieroglyphic Writing"
- Peter Schiffman: "Support for Joint Undergraduate/Graduate Studies on Assessing the Geothermal Potential of the Modoc Plateau in Northeast California"
- William Jackson, Chemistry: "The Study of VUV Photochemistry on N2 and CO using Seeded Molecular Beams in He"
- Bill Lasley, School of Medicine: "Determining the Role of Circulating Progesterone to Increase Negative Mood"
- James Murphy, English: "To Complete a Book Now in Progress, titled ‘The Gentlemen’s Rhetoric of Obediah Walker, 1616-1699’"
- Cal Qualset, Plant Sciences: "Diversity Analyses of Landrace Ropulations of Wheat from Turkey and Iran and Maize from Mexico"
- George Bruening: "Exploring Plant Pathways in the Recognition of Virus Invasion"
- Robert Rucker: "The Chemical Properties of a Novel Dietary Biofactor: Pyrroloquinoline Quinone"
- James Seiber: "Reducing the Risk from Toxic Compounds in Foods"
- Yin Yeh: "Initiating Research toward Understanding the Molecular Mechanism of the Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease"
- Peter Hays: "Continued Research on Hemingway"
- Don Price: "Song Jiaoren and China's Political Culture"
- Kurt Kreith: "Mathematics, Technology, and the Secondary School Curriculum"
- Charles Halsted: "The Epigenetic Regulation of Development Alcoholic Liver Disease"
- Robert Derlet and Charles Goldman: “Analysis of Microbial and Planktonic Communities in Small Sierra Nevada Lakes and Streams”
- Karen M. Reiser: "Diagnosis of Skin Cancer Using Second Harmonic Generation Imaging: Ancillary Data”
- Robbin W. Thorp: “Franklin’s Bumble Bee, Bombus franklini (Frison): Research Needed on this Species of Special Concerns”
- Emmanuel Epstein: "Silicon in Biomass for Energy"
- Verne Mendel: "Centennial Video History Project"
- Richard Walters: "Workshop series on teaching, learning, and technology"